Watermelon is a summertime favorite with kids and adults alike and shows up on just about every picnic table in the country. Did you know that National Watermelon Day is celebrated on August 3rd? Or that a watermelon is 92% water? Had you heard that early explorers used watermelons as canteens? You can find more fun facts at the National Watermelon Promotion Board. As for us, we’ll provide you with plenty of fun watermelon crafts and recipes to keep you busy! Below are ten of our favorites.
Watermelon Crafts and Recipes
1. Watermelon Cactus – This spectacular cactus-shaped watermelon display is sure to be a hit for any party or occasion.
2. Watermelon Fruit Pizza – It looks like watermelon, but it’s actually a strawberry and kiwi cookie pizza that makes a wonderful dessert.
3. Watermelon Melty Bead Coasters – Make these cute little coasters with melted beads. They’re fun and easy to make and are great to give as gifts.
4. Watermelon Yogurt Pops -These yummy yogurt pops are made with cone-shaped drinking cups. What a fun treat for summer!
5. Watermelon Ice Cream Cake – This cake is sure to be the hit of the party! It tastes as good as it looks and is easy to make.
6. Paper Plate Watermelon Suncatcher – Have fun creating a pretty watermelon suncatcher using a paper plate and other common materials.
7. Handprint Watermelon – Turn a child’s handprint into a slice of watermelon. Do this each summer to record growth!
8. Watermelon Cookies – Sugar cookies shaped like slices of watermelon make a fun addition to any summertime party, picnic, or barbecue!
9. Paper Plate Watermelon Fan – Cool off on a hot summer’s day with this watermelon-themed paper plate fan. They’re great for picnics, parties, parades and more.
10. Felt Watermelon – Create realistic looking watermelon slices using felt. This is a fun little project to introduce children to sewing.
Be sure to check out the dozens of other fun watermelon crafts and recipes!