Construction paper and paintable stamps make this great fan for Chinese New Year. A fun project for young ones as well as the older set.
Chinese New Year Fan
What you’ll need:
- 3 sheets red construction paper
- Decorative foam stamps (we chose a swirl and an orange slice)
- Gold acrylic paint
- Paint brush
- Glue stick
- 2 gold chenille stems
- 1 red chenille stem
- 2 gold jumbo craft sticks (optional)
How to make it:
- Decorate the red paper with gold painted foam stamps. We chose a swirl design as well as an orange. Oranges are symbolic of wealth in Chinese culture. Paint the foam stamps with gold paint and press onto the paper. Let dry completely.
- Use a glue stick to attach all three decorated sheets together, end to end lengthwise.
- Fold red paper accordion style, making the pleats about 1″ wide.
- Gather all the pleats together and then hold firmly at one end.
- Wrap chenille stems around the end that you are holding to form the handle. Begin with gold chenille, then add red, and finish with gold.
- This step is optional, but if you prefer a longer handle, you can insert two jumbo craft sticks up inside the gathered handle. Squeeze a little glue into the opening to secure the sticks. Let dry. You can also paint the craft sticks gold or red.