Kids love to make music and it doesn’t matter when or where. Singing, banging, and strumming are great fun! August 24th is Strange Music Day, which is a great excuse to haul out the recycled materials and get creating some fun musical instrument crafts with the kids!
Musical Instrument Crafts
1. Finger Cymbals – Don’t throw away the lids from frozen concentrate! Use them to make a pair of finger cymbals.
2. Recycled Maracas – Empty containers can have a new life as colorful maracas for the kids to play.
3. Cardboard Box Guitar – Combine a cardboard tube, an empty box, and some rubber bands and you have an awesome toy guitar.
4. Coffee Can Drum – Turn an empty coffee can into a drum that sounds almost as good as the real thing.
5. Musical Shakers – Musical instruments don’t have to be complicated! These shakers add a great percussion sound.
6. Recycled Bottle Xylophone – Add water to empty plastic bottles to make a xylophone that really works. As you make it, talk about the science of sound.
7. Oatmeal Container Drum – This classic craft is just as fun today as it was when the parents were kids. Give it a try!
8. Drinking Straw Pan Flute – Make a simple pan flute out of straws. Have the kids imagine what the flute could do if it were magic!
9. Pie Pan Cymbals – Pie pans make excellent cymbals and are a lot of fun to decorate.
10. Craft Stick Kazoo – It only takes minutes to make a craft stick kazoo. Try to see how many different sounds can you make!
Don’t forget to look at all the musical instrument projects we’ve gathered at Fun Family Crafts!