Mom and Me Wooden Spoons
These cute little dolls made from wooden spoons can be personalized however you’d like. Use your mom’s hair color and favorite outfit, then adjust the child to look just like yourself.
What you’ll need
- 2 wooden spoons, one larger than the other
- Yarn in your choice of colors
- White craft glue
- Googly eyes
- 2 small pink pom-poms
- small pink beads
- Pink and red crayons
- Felt, buttons and pom-poms
How to make it
- Take a long piece of yarn and fold it back and forth so that each length touches end to end until you have a small handful. Tie a piece of ribbon in the center. Don’t tie it too tight, just enough to gather it together. Tie into a bow, trim ribbon ends, and cut all the looped ends to create the hair. Pipe some glue around the top of the wooden spoon and press the yarn hair onto the “head”.
- Glue on googly eyes, a pom-pom for a nose, and use marker to draw on mouth. Use a pink crayon for cheeks and red for Mom’s lipstick.
- Make a necklace for Mom by stringing the beads onto a piece of ribbon. Tie around neck of spoon.
- To create the dress, fold the corner of a piece of felt down and place the spoon (face down) onto the felt. The folded corner will be the dress’s neckline. Fold the felt over one side, then fold the other side over. Glue in place.
5. Slide off the spoon and trim the bottom straight to create dress. Slip the spoon back into the felt dress and glue in place.
6. Repeat all steps for the child spoon. Decorate with pom-poms, buttons, and ribbon.
- To create a quick display can, insert some floral foam inside a clean aluminum can and insert the spoons. Tie a piece of ribbon or felt around the center of the can.
- Painting the spoons is not necessary but you may do so if you wish.
- To make a boy spoon, cut short pieces of yarn, no ribbon, and use a straight tube of felt for the clothing.
This project was created by Amanda Formaro, originally for Kaboose/Spoonful.