Get the little ones involved in your New Year’s Eve celebrations by crafting countdown clocks made from paper plates and colorful foam numbers. Of course, their countdown clock will mark bedtime instead of midnight!
Supplies you will need:
- Paper plate
- Scrap of black craft foam
- Scrap of purple craft foam
- Purple foam circle
- Metal fastener or scrapbook brad
- Pink glitter glue
- Purple glitter glue
- Black Sharpie marker
- Black acrylic paint
- Paint brush
- White craft glue
- Paint entire paper plate with pink glitter glue, set aside to dry.
- Use scissors to cut out clock arms from black foam. Cut the minute hand about 6″ long, and the hour hand about 4″, depending on the size of your paper plate.
- Cut a strip of purple foam about 4″ long.
- Glue purple circle to one end of the purple strip of foam.
- Use pink and purple glitter glue to draw a firework explosion on the purple circle. Set aside in a safe place out of reach to dry.
- Poke a small hole in the ends of the clock arms to insert the fastener through.
- Poke a small hole in the center of the paper plate.
- Use the marker to write on the clock numbers.
- Insert fastener through the clock arms and then through the hole in the center of the plate.
- Close back of fastener loose enough so that clock arms will move.
- Use black paint to paint the outside edge of the paper plate as a border.
- Check to be sure the glitter glue on your “time marker” is dry, then glue it to the back of the plate, aligning the firework with midnight (or your child’s bed time).