Salt Dough Snowman Ornament
Salt dough is so fun for kids and makes great ornaments. This snowman has character and is very simple to make.
What You Need:
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon water
- Cookie sheet
- Paint: white, orange and black
- Acrylic sealer spray
How To Make It:
1. Put flour, salt and water in a bowl and mix with the spoon. Once the dough is combined, pick it up in your hand and knead it with your fingers until smooth.
2. Remove a small piece of dough for making the nose and roll the larger piece of dough between your palms to form a ball.
3. Press the ball down onto the cookie sheet with the palm of your hand, flattening it out.
4. Roll the small piece of dough with your fingers into a carrot shape. Press firmly but gently onto the round flattened dough.
5. Insert toothpick toward the top of the head, but not too close to the edge. Move the toothpick in a circular motion to enlarge the hole so that it is big enough to run a piece of ribbon through.
6. Bake ornament in a 250°F oven for 2 hours. Remove from oven and let cool on a rack.
7. When completely cool, paint the round section white and the nose orange.
8. Use the handle end of a paintbrush dipped in black paint to dot on the snowman’s eyes and mouth. Let dry.
9. Spray the ornament with 2 coats of sealer.
10. When dry, tie a ribbon hanger through the hole in the top.
- If you prefer a perfect circle, place dough inside a round biscuit or cookie cutter and spread with your fingers.
- Salt dough will break if dropped, so be sure to handle your ornament with care.
- The oven step can be skipped, you will need to allow the ornament to dry overnight.
This project was created by Amanda Formaro, originally for Kaboose/Spoonful.