Wheelbarrow of Leaves
What better way to collect all those falling leaves than with a wheelbarrow? Have fun with this cute autumn project.
What You Need:
- small cardboard box
- 3 popsicle sticks
- 2 miniature popsicle sticks
- 1 sheet of blue paper or felt
- 2 round wooden doll stands
- 8 cotton balls
- Tissue paper in fall colors
- Black acrylic paint
- White glue (and hot glue)
- Ruler and pencil
How to Make It:
- Place box on work surface. Starting at the bottom of the box, measure 3 inches up and cut the top off. You will be left with a 3-inch tall box.
- With the front of the box facing you, measure 1-inch up from the bottom (measure at the left corner) and mark that spot with a pencil. Use a ruler and pencil to draw a line from the marking you just made up to the far right (upper) corner of the box.
- Cut along the line to create the angled wheelbarrow body. Repeat this same process on the other side of the box.
- Glue two miniature popsicle sticks to the short sides of the box for the wheelbarrow handles.
- Cover the cardboard with blue paper or felt using glue.
- Turn the wheelbarrow body upside down. Glue a popsicle stick in the center, leaving about 1-inch of the stick poking out from the tall end of the box. Refer to the photo; this is the popsicle stick that shows above the front wheel.
- With wheelbarrow still upside down, glue a second popsicle stick over the top of the first, only this one will protrude about 3-inches out from the box AND will be standing on end rather than laying flat with the other stick.
- Paint the two wooden doll stands with black paint and let dry. When they are dry, glue the two flat sides together, sandwiching the protruding stick in between.
- To create the legs, cut a popsicle stick in half. Have a grown up hot glue the cut ends to the bottom of the box at the short end (near the wheelbarrow handles).
- Turn wheelbarrow right side up and glue cotton balls into the box (provides height).
- Crumple small pieces of tissue paper and glue on top of cotton balls.
This project was created by Amanda Formaro, originally for Kaboose/Spoonful.