Clay Pot Rat
Make this cute little rat (or mouse, if you prefer) out of a clay pot and felt! It’s a fun craft for kids for Chinese New Year or a rainy afternoon.
What you’ll need:
- 1- 1.5″ diameter wooden ball
- 1- 2.25″ diameter clay pot
- Gray paint
- Gray and red felt
- Miniature pink pom pom
- 1 skinny black chenille stem
- 2 small googly eyes
- Small scrap of white paper or cardstock
- White craft glue
- Hot glue gun
How to make it:
- Turn clay pot upside down and glue the wooden ball to the center. When glue is dry, paint the pot and the ball with gray paint. Let dry.
- Cut four small circles for the paws and cheeks and two larger circles for the ears from gray felt. Cut a bow tie from red felt. Cut the chenille stem into 6 pieces about 1″ in length each.
- Glue the bow tie on to the clay pot, just below the wooden ball. Glue two small circles of gray felt below the bow tie for the paws. Glue the other two small circles of gray felt to the wooden ball for the cheeks. Glue the pink pom pom to the center of the cheeks. Glue two wiggle eyes onto the face.
- Cut a small rectangle from white paper, draw a thin line down the center for the teeth, and glue below the pink nose. Trim the ends of the larger circles to give them a flat edge. Put hot glue on the flat edge and attach to the head. Repeat on other side.
- Use hot glue to attach three chenille stem pieces to each side of the face for the whiskers.
- Don’t bother buying gray paint. Make your own by mixing black and white.
- Use white glue for most of the steps above except where the hot glue gun is indicated.
- Instead of a wooden ball and a clay pot you can use a Styrofoam cup and Styrofoam ball instead.
This project was created by Amanda Formaro, originally for Kaboose/Spoonful.