Make this easy and decorative tragedy and comedy garland using construction paper and beads. It’s a fun way to decorate for a Mardi Gras party,
What you’ll need:
- 1 sheet each of purple, yellow, and green construction paper
- Black marker
- 1 yard of green yarn
- 17 each purple, yellow, and green pony beads
- Glue stick
How to make it:
- Fold each piece of construction paper in half lengthwise.
- Print and cut out the two mask patterns. Lay one of the mask patterns on the green paper. Line up the top of the mask above the fold of the paper by about 1/8″. You will need to do this so when you cut the paper, your fold remains in tact. Repeat this on the same sheet with the other mask pattern. You will get two masks per sheet.
- Repeat step 2 for all the other colors. You should end up with six masks, one of each color for both kinds.
- Cut each mask out; make sure your folds remain in tact. After they are cut out, place the mask pattern over the top of the cut out mask and use a pencil to trace the facial features. By tracing over the pattern, you are creating indents in the construction paper. Remove the pattern and repeat this process for all the masks.
- Use a black marker to trace the facial feature indents and color in.
- Tape one end of the yarn to the table so that when you add the beads they won’t fall off the other end. Thread all of the beads onto the yarn, alternating colors as you go (yellow, purple, green, yellow, purple, green, etc). Lay the beaded yarn down on the table in front of you and tape the left end to the table as well.
- Move the first three beads to the far left side of the yarn strand. Next you will be alternating masks and beads to create your garland.
- Open the first mask and coat the inside with a glue stick. Position the yarn, first three beads to the left, onto the inside mask crease. Fold the mask back together, gluing it together, trapping the yarn inside.
- Slide 9 beads up to the first mask, and then add the next mask after that (purple comedy).
- Repeat step 9 with a green tragic mask and continue this process until all masks are glued in place. You should end up with 3 beads to the left and right outside ends and 9 beads in between each mask.
- To secure the end beads and make sure they don’t fall off, remove the tape from the end of the yarn, run the yarn back through the end bead. Pull it tight to secure. Repeat on the other side. Hang your garland!