Pet rocks are a neat way to express your creativity and your own personal style. Whether it’s a cute animal or a creepy creature, this craft is lots of fun for kids!
What you’ll need:
- Acrylic craft paint
- Decorations: yarn, googly eyes, felt, glitter glue, sequins, beads, pom poms, etc.
- White craft glue
- Spray sealant
How to make it:
- Start by washing your rock with warm soapy water. If your rock is jagged or has nooks and crannies, use a scrub brush to get all the dirt out.
- Decorate your rocks however you like using just about anything. If it will stick, use it!
- When everything is dry, spray it with sealant.
Pet Rock Piggy
- Paint a smooth oval shaped stone with pink acrylic paint and let dry.
- Glue a pink button to the center of the rock and two miniature pink pom poms toward the top for ears.
- Use the handle end of a paintbrush dipped in white paint to create the whites of the eyes.
- After that dries repeat the process with black paint to add the blacks of the eyes.
- Add a little red paint to the pink paint in your palette and dip your finger in. Dab off excess and put a spot on either side of the “nose” as the rosy cheeks.
- Use a black fine tipped marker to dot on freckles.
Pet Rock Monster
- Paint a bumpy or odd-shaped rock green and let dry.
- Paint a bean shape on for the mouth with black paint and let dry.
- Use a toothpick and white paint to paint on pointy teeth onto the black mouth.
- Use the handle end of a paintbrush to dot on eyes with white paint.
- Use a toothpick to add the black dots for the eyes after the whites have dried.
- Use a black marker or a toothpick dipped in black paint to add eyebrows.
- Cut yarn into 1/2″ lengths. Add some white craft glue to the top of the rock monster’s “head” and thin it out with your finger. You should have a layer, but not too much or the yarn will slide off. Gently place the yarn pieces, standing up, on top of the glue and let dry completely.
- Use the handle end of a paintbrush to dot on yellow spots.